NYCSHE is the New York Coalition for Sustainability in Higher Education. The Coalition works closely with the SUNY Sustainability Coalition (SSC), a group that consists of sustainability officers working in the state university system.
NYCSHE is an affiliate of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. (AASHE).
The NY Coalition for Sustainability in Higher Education unites representatives of higher education and supporting organizations with a common interest to promote, sustain, and advocate for environmental, economic and social responsibility, as envisioned by the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- To bring together members from higher education who share interest, knowledge, and expertise and those that are in strategic positions that impact our sustainability policies, practices, and physical development.
- To advise members on best practices within the field of sustainability.
- To be a conduit for information about policies, practices and ideas, primarily to make them more affordable, available, uniform, consistent, and utilized in order to support sustainability needs in New York State.
- To become a voice on promoting the best interests of sustainability stakeholders within New York State.
- To coordinate related activities with coalitions of similar purpose, on a local, regional and national level.
Members will adhere to advancing the following Sustainability Focus Points:
- Serve as sustainability leaders in higher education, public and private enterprise, and the local community.
- Become leaders in the development and promotion of sustainability education and technology.
- Use economic, environmental, and social resources efficiently and sustainably.
- Address current and future challenges to operations and growth, while maintaining the sustainable structure of each member’s organization.
- Communicate and share each member organization’s successes and challenges.
- Connect our members to the global sustainability trends and concerns.
- The membership of the Coalition is focused on sustainability personnel or those formally tasked with sustainability programming at an institution of Higher Education in New York State. It is also open to organizations pursuing sustainability programming and are affiliated with higher education including but not limited to private companies, non-profits or government agencies.
- Membership is by individuals and institutions can have more than one member in the Coalition.
- All potential members of the Coalition shall submit an application form and this will be approved by consensus of the Steering Committee before being formally admitted as a member.
- There are no dues to participate in NYCSHE. Any expenses incurred shall be donated by members and/or obtained via grant funding.
- The Steering Committee serves to perform duties necessary for the operational existence of the Coalition.
- The committee shall number at least five (5) and not more than seven (7) members with a presiding Chairperson and shall consist of Coalition members as voted on by the membership with voting rights.
- Committee terms are two years in length
- The Steering Committee shall meet once a month for the purpose of conducting business and shall organize an annual meeting of members
- The Coalition’s activities and networking capability will be assisted through Regional Representatives. These volunteers will help build a stronger network across the state and leverage our collective knowledge and power to promote sustainability in higher education and beyond.
- Regions will be determined by the Steering Committee and they shall appoint the assigned rep for each area.
- Members can self-nominate for a Regional Rep position
- All service is voluntary
NYCSHE remains free from any party or political affiliations. Although NYSCHE members may share best practices and product or service recommendations with other members, NYCSHE remains commercially neutral and will not endorse any specific product or service.
To view the organization’s constitution click here